Artistic Director, Southbank Theatre CompanyIndianapolis, IN 2021-present Indianapolis, IN 2019-present
Associate Professor of EnglishMarian University 2018-2019
Assistant Professor of EnglishMarian University 2011-2018 Indianapolis, IN Courses taught: ENG101 Composition, ENG109 Newspaper, ENG112 Writing and Community, ENG115 Written Analysis of Literature, ENG245 Dramatic Literature and Performance (Page to Stage), ENG319 Classical Mythology, ENG322 Line Editing, ENG330 Shakespeare, ENG333 Modern Drama, ENG334 Modern Women Playwrights, ENG347 Adolescent Literature, ENG354 Tudor and Stuart Drama, ENG360 Internship: Teaching assistant, ENG460 Internship: Scholarly research, ENG490 Senior Seminar, GST210 Gender Theory, HUM230 Humanities: Ancient to Renaissance, HUM231 Humanities: Baroque to Contemporary, Honors Courses Taught: Shakespeare, History, and Ethics, Shakespeare and British History, Shakespeare and Roman History, Study Abroad: Shakespeare’s Italian and British Renaissance (Rome, Florence, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, York, and London), Stratford Shakespeare Festival (2011-2015)
Part-Time and Graduate-Student Positions
- Instructor University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 2008-2009, 2010-2011
- Visiting Assistant Professor Mills College, Oakland CA 2009-2010, Fall 2008, Fall 2007
- Instructor Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA Fall 2006, ID010 (Human Experience), ID21A (Human Heritage)
- Editorial Assistant August 2002–August 2005 Renascence: Essays on Values in Literature, Marquette University Press, Milwaukee, WI
- Urban Journalism Workshop Counselor Summers 2004-2005 Marquette University, College of Communication
- Instructor 2002, Summer session, English 305 (Junior/Senior Literature and Writing) Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
- Teaching Assistantship August 1999–May 2002, English 101 (Basic Writing) and English 105 (Research Writing) Indiana State University, Terre Haute, I
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
PhD – English (Shakespeare and Dramatic Literature)
Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
Master of Arts – English (Dramatic Literature and Creative Writing)
Mary-of-the-Woods College, St. Mary-of-the-Woods, IN
Bachelor of Arts – Music (Vocal Performance)
University Service and Administrative Work
- Personnel Policies Committee (2014-2019)
- Study Abroad coordinator (England and Italy, 2016-2019)
- Chair, Department of English (2015-2016)
- English Department webmaster (2013-2017)
- Stratford Festival trip coordinator and chaperone (Canada, 2011-2015)
- Gender Studies Committee (2011-2018; interim chair, Fall 2013)
- Instructional Technology Committee (2013-2015)
- Student Conduct Committee (2012-2013)
- Elections Committee (2012-2013)
Other Professional Experience
- Board of directors, Southbank Theatre Company 2021-present; artistic direction, multimedia/website support, play selection, merchandizing, writing and editing, finances, marketing, and social media support.
- Steering committee, Indiana Playwrights Circle 2019-present; Multimedia support, consultation with playwrights, lead scene nights, participate in table readings, work with Indiana Writers Center on website needs, writing and editing support.
- Board of Directors, Fat Turtle Theatre Company 2018-present; Marketing and writing support, play selection, consultation with playwrights, theatre workshops, analysis and critique of new works, short film marketing team.
- Board of Trustees, The Children’s House Elementary School 2012-2016; Board member for The Children’s House, Montessori Elementary School. Coordinated new marketing strategies, including NPR advertising, website redesign, and attendance at school fairs. Helped to increase enrollment from 19 students to 43 within one school year. (Goal was 40 enrolled students.)
- Scholarly Consultant 2008 – 2013; Scholarly consultant for artist Julie Newdoll for her painting series on Shakespeare and science, titled Shakespeare: The Mirror up to Science. Images may be viewed at Julie Newdoll’s website.
- Founded English Authors, a creative writing group for English Department graduate students at Marquette University, 2003.
- General Editor of Quintessence – (Vol. 1, 2003; Vol. 2, 2004) – accepted stories, poems, and drama to appear in Quintessence, the anthology of creative writing produced by English Authors; copyediting and proofreading.
Awards, Grants, and Distinctions
- Associate Professor of English, 2018 Promoted to Associate Professor of English, Marian University, December 2018.
- Best of Across the Margin, Fiction, 2016 Short story, “Play Ball,” was recognized as one of fifteen “finest fiction” publications in Across the Margin, 2016.
- McKinney Grant, Marian University, 2016 Grant in the amount of $3,500 for an exploration trip for a study abroad to Italy and Great Britain proposed for the Honors Program. The study abroad is scheduled for 2018, focusing on Shakespeare’s history and Roman plays, and the influence of Renaissance Italy on Shakespeare’s works.
- Outstanding Contribution to Theatre as a Volunteer, Marian University, 2013 Award based on volunteer work with Theatre faculty and students at Marian, including co-leading the annual Stratford Shakespeare Festival trip to Ontario.
- Graduate Scholarship, Marquette University (2002-2005) Scholarship based on academic achievement. Full tuition remission and stipend.
- James Richard Bash Award, Indiana State University (April 2002) Award for academic achievement and excellence as a Graduate student.
- Educational Excellence Award, Indiana State University (April 2001) Award in the College of Arts and Sciences at the Graduate level for excellence in teaching and academics.
- Honor Society, Indiana State University (March 2001) Inducted to Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
- Graduate Scholarship, Indiana State University (1999-2002)