Freelance Editor, Writer, Web Developer, Creative Director
Skills: copyediting, line editing, proofreading, print layout, web development (HTML, CSS, PHP), graphic design, content creation, marketing, creative direction, copywriting, research, and analysis.
Applications: MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud
March 2020 – present
- The Five Star Man: Dating Handbook for Women Only, by T. Naomi Williams
- Lovestrong by Courtney Lynn Rose (forthcoming)
Narrate and edit (Adobe Audition) stories/poems for Librivox.org.
- Verses by Hilaire Belloc
- • “In a Boat”
- • “The Leader”
- Uncollected Short Stories of L.M. Montgomery by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- • “The Children’s Garden”
- • “One Mother’s Opinions”
- • “Margaret’s Books”
- • “The Goose Feud”
- • “A Garden of Old Delights”
- • “Margaret Ann’s Mother”
- Something Childish and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield
- • The Journey to Bruges
- • The Woman at the Store
- The Ship of Stars by Arthur Quiller-Couch
- • Chapter 1: The Boy in the Gate-House
- • Chapter 2: Music in the Town Square
- • Chapter 3: Passenger’s by Joby’s Van
ENG112 Writing and Community
ENG115 Written Analysis of Literature
ENG245 Dramatic Literature and Performance (Page to Stage)
ENG319 Classical Mythology
ENG322 Line Editing
ENG333 Modern Drama
ENG334 Modern Women Playwrights
ENG347 Adolescent Literature
ENG354 Tudor and Stuart Drama
ENG360 Internship: Teaching assistant
ENG460 Internship: Scholarly research
ENG490 Senior Seminar
GST210 Gender Theory
HUM230 Humanities: Ancient to Renaissance
HUM231 Humanities: Baroque to Contemporary
Honors Courses Taught:
Shakespeare, History, and Ethics
Shakespeare and British History
Shakespeare and Roman History
Study Abroad: Shakespeare’s Italian and British Renaissance (Rome, Florence, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, York, and London)
Part-Time and Graduate-Student Positions
University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
2008-2009, 2010-2011; Interdisciplinary Studies 307 (Experience and Critical Writing); Interdisciplinary Studies 308 (Advanced Expository Writing); Interdisciplinary Studies 300 (Critical Thinking Seminar)
- Visiting Assistant Professor
Mills College, Oakland CA
2009-2010, Fall 2008, Fall 2007; English 115/215 (Shakespeare), English 001 (Critical Reading and Expository Writing)
Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA
Fall 2006, ID010 (Human Experience), ID21A (Human Heritage)
- Editorial Assistant
August 2002–August 2005
Renascence: Essays on Values in Literature, Marquette University Press, Milwaukee, WI
- Urban Journalism Workshop Counselor
Marquette University, College of Communication
2002, Summer session, English 305 (Junior/Senior Literature and Writing)
Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
- Teaching Assistantship
August 1999–May 2002, English 101 (Basic Writing) and English 105 (Research Writing)
Indiana State University, Terre Haute, I
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
PhD – English
Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
Master of Arts – English
Mary-of-the-Woods College, St. Mary-of-the-Woods, IN
Bachelor of Arts – Music
University Service and Administrative Work
- Personnel Policies Committee (2014-2019)
- Study Abroad coordinator (2016-2019)
- Chair, Department of English (2015-2016)
- English Department webmaster (2013-2017)
- Stratford Festival trip coordinator and chaperone (2011-2015)
- Gender Studies Committee (2011-2018; interim chair, Fall 2013)
- Instructional Technology Committee (2013-2015)
- Student Conduct Committee (2012-2013)
- Elections Committee (2012-2013)
Other Professional Experience
- Steering committee, Indiana Playwrights Circle 2019-present; Multimedia support, consultation with playwrights, lead scene nights, participate in table readings, work with Indiana Writers Center on website needs, writing and editing support.
- Board of Directors, Fat Turtle Theatre Company 2018-present; Marketing and writing support, play selection, consultation with playwrights, theatre workshops, analysis and critique of new works, short film marketing team.
- Board of Trustees, The Children’s House Elementary School 2012-2016; Board member for The Children’s House, Montessori Elementary School. Coordinated new marketing strategies, including NPR advertising, website redesign, and attendance at school fairs. Helped to increase enrollment from 19 students to 43 within one school year. (Goal was 40 enrolled students.)
- Scholarly Consultant 2008 – 2013; Scholarly consultant for artist Julie Newdoll for her painting series on Shakespeare and science, titled Shakespeare: The Mirror up to Science. Images may be viewed at Julie Newdoll’s website.
- Founded English Authors, a creative writing group for English Department graduate students at Marquette University, 2003.
- General Editor of Quintessence – (Vol. 1, 2003; Vol. 2, 2004) – accepted stories, poems, and drama to appear in Quintessence, the anthology of creative writing produced by English Authors; copyediting and proofreading.
Awards, Grants, and Distinctions
- Associate Professor of English, 2018 Promoted to Associate Professor of English, Marian University, December 2018.
- Best of Across the Margin, Fiction, 2016 Short story, “Play Ball,” was recognized as one of fifteen “finest fiction” publications in Across the Margin, 2016.
- McKinney Grant, Marian University, 2016 Grant in the amount of $3,500 for an exploration trip for a study abroad to Italy and Great Britain proposed for the Honors Program. The study abroad is scheduled for 2018, focusing on Shakespeare’s history and Roman plays, and the influence of Renaissance Italy on Shakespeare’s works.
- Outstanding Contribution to Theatre as a Volunteer, Marian University, 2013 Award based on volunteer work with Theatre faculty and students at Marian, including co-leading the annual Stratford Shakespeare Festival trip to Ontario.
- Graduate Scholarship, Marquette University (2002-2005) Scholarship based on academic achievement. Full tuition remission and stipend.
- James Richard Bash Award, Indiana State University (April 2002) Award for academic achievement and excellence as a Graduate student.
- Educational Excellence Award, Indiana State University (April 2001) Award in the College of Arts and Sciences at the Graduate level for excellence in teaching and academics.
- Honor Society, Indiana State University (March 2001) Inducted to Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
- Graduate Scholarship, Indiana State University (1999-2002)
- Dramatists Guild
- Indiana Playwrights Circle
- Indiana Writers Center
- ACES: The Society for Editors
- EFA: The Editorial Freelancers Association
- AAUP: The American Association of University Professors
- Modern Language Association
- Shakespeare Association of America
- Shaksper: The Global Electronic Shakespeare Conference